The German Diabetes Center (DDZ), the Leibniz Institute for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University (HHU) in Düsseldorf was funded by the Federal Ministry of Health and Ministry of Innovation, Science and Research of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia. The DDZ as an interdisciplinary institute links molecular and cell biological basic research with clinical investigation.
The DDZ aims at developing new approaches for the prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment of diabetes mellitus and at improving the treatment of its complications. The DDZ is a member of the German Center for Diabetes Research (DZD).
The Research Group “Metabolic Imaging” (Head: Dr. Vera Schrauwen-Hinderling) within the Institute for Clinical Diabetology at the German Diabetes Center (Director: Prof. Dr. Michael Roden) is looking for a
PhD Student or Postdoc
for the development and application of state-of-the-art Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) in (clinical) metabolic research.
Ihr Aufgabengebiet umfasst
- Diabetes is a chronic disease that affects more than nine million patients in Germany. Early disturbances in metabolism are detectable with MRS, giving us a tool to monitor changes in metabolism with life style in-terventions, treatment or between different groups of subjects. The main objective in the project is to de-velop sophisticated MRS methodology, aimed at increasing our understanding the metabolic derange-ments observed in type 2 diabetes mellitus. The methodology will be focused on improving detection of metabolites using either 1H-MRS, 13C-MRS or 31P-MRS.
- The candidates will have access to advanced MR equipment (3.0 T human and 11.7 T small animal sys-tem, both open platform) and the MRS measurements will be combined with other (invasive) metabolic techniques. Furthermore, the candidate will become part of an internationally renowned multidisciplinary research team, consisting of (medical) engineers, biochemists, medical doctors and biologists. The candi-date will work under the mentorship of prof. Dr. Michael. Roden and Dr. Vera Schrauwen-Hinderling.
Wir erwarten von Ihnen
- A Master´s Degree (for PhD) or a PhD (for Postdoc) in the field of (bio)medical engineering, chemistry, bi-ophysics, medical physics or any related and/or comparable field.
- Ambitious, independent, creative and fascinated by technical innovation in the medical-technical field and the direct application of the newly developed techniques in a clinical (research) setting.
- Experience in MRI/S is a plus.
- Ideally, trained in engineering/MR physics and a genuine interest in physiology.
- Team player who also can work independently.
- Skills for writing pulse sequences for Philips and/or Bruker platform is a plus.
Wir bieten Ihnen
- The DDZ is committed to family-friendly working conditions and equal gender policy. Since May 2011, the DDZ is a “Career and Family” audit-acknowledged Center.
- The position is to be awarded starting from the first of March 2021.
- The initial contract runs for 2 years with an option of prolongation.
- The salary is based on qualification and experience according to TV-L in its current version for North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Females are encouraged to apply, and in the case of equal qualification.
- Handicapped persons will be given preference.